We have all been through it, thought about doing it or know someone who has been through it. And we have all heard the stories! Taking on a remodeling project can – and probably will – try your ...
2014 Best Renovation
2014 Best Renovation
Features: This brick river ranch home was built in 1979 with 3 bedrooms and 1 ½ bathrooms, at a total of 1,772 square feet. We renovated this home inside and out and top to bottom, with very little left untouched. Nearly every wall was moved or removed to have uninterrupted and heightened views of the spectacular river. Another bedroom/den was added post-renovation, increasing the living space by 220 square feet and ultimately increasing the home's value.
The homeowners are retirees relocating to Toledo from Arizona. Their key home renovation wishlist included:
- Energy efficiency
- Wanted the home to remain warm in the cold Ohio winters
- On a fixed income, they wanted their energy bills at a minimum
- Open floor plan layout for river views and their active livestyle
- Low maintenance
From the design phase to item selection to construction, the build was coordinated remotely via email, USPS mail, web meetings and other mediums. This added a complexity when working around hidden obstacles. The winter weather also proved to be challenging with no insulation in the home, with keeping the house warm and keeping the pipes from freezing. Every good weather day counted extra to keep on schedule and on budget!
The home renovation included energy efficiency at every turn, including:
- R21/R15 wall insulation
- R38/R60 ceiling insulation with new roof
- Conditioned crawl space
- Concrete addition floor foam
- Owens Corning Energy Complete® system
- Efficient windows
- High efficiency furnace and A/C unit
- Electrical reran throughout house, including new panel
- Tankless hot water heater
- Energy Star appliances and fixtures with LED lighting
After the renovation was complete, a HERS energy-efficiency rating was completed by an outside firm. The home received a five-star rating, which is in the top percentage of homes (including new home builds) for efficiency!
- 2014 Best Renovation, HBA of Greater Toledo
- 2014 Best Kitchen, HBA of Greater Toledo